- While West Yellowstone itself may not have a golf course, multiple world-class courses are just a short drive away.
- Big Sky Resort, The Reserve at Moonlight Basin and The Club at Spanish Peaks off 18-hole courses.
- Island Park Village Resort and the Timberline Golf Course offer smaller, 9-hole courses.
Golfing is a popular summer sport, no matter where you travel. But golfing in the Mountain West is something different. The vivid blue of the mountain skies only makes the greens look greener; the clear, mountain air seems to make drives fly further; and the mountains rising up out of the horizon threaten to make you forget to watch your ball. While West Yellowstone doesn’t have any golf courses right in town, a short drive to the north or south will land you in the greens of some of Montana and Idaho’s most beautiful courses.
Big Sky Resort
- Big Sky is a destination spot in the winter for skiing, but be sure to check it out during the summer, as well. This 18-hole, par-72 Arnold Palmer course is set near the base of Lone Peak and the Metcalf Wilderness Area and looks out on the surrounding peaks.
- Location – Big Sky Resort is just an hour away from West Yellowstone on US-191 North.
- Contact Info – For greens fees, reservations and other info, call 406-995-5780.
Island Park Village Resort
- To the south of West Yellowstone, Island Park Village Resort offers a 9-hole, par-35 course and driving range. Although the course is shorter, the Village Resort hosts a variety of other activities, making it perfect for a group that doesn’t want to spend an entire day on the course.
- Location – Island Park Village Resort is half-an-hour southwest of West Yellowstone on US-20 West.
- Contact Info – For greens fees, reservations and other info, call 208-558-7502.
Timberline Golf Course
- Ashton, Idaho’s 9-hole course and driving range is a small, out-of-the-way course that doesn’t attract many crowds, making it a great place to find some solace playing golf while surrounded by the mountains.
- Location – Timberline Golf Course is just under an hour from West Yellowstone in Ashton, Idaho. Take US-20 West to Big Springs Loop Road. Take a left and go three miles down to Fish Creek Road; Timberline is three miles north on Fish Creek.
- Contact Info – For greens fees, reservations and other info, call 208-652-3219.
The Reserve at Moonlight Basin
- With a planned opening for August, 2010, Moonlight’s Jack Nickolson signature 18-hole, par-72 golf course will have everything you could ask for in a mountain course – inspiring natural terrain; an alpine lake; running streams; high elevation (7,500 feet above sea level); and, of course, mountains all around.
- Location – The Reserve is an hour and fifteen minutes north of West Yellowstone along US-191, next to Big Sky and Lone Peak.
- Contact Info – For greens fees, reservations and other info, call 1-800-323-9212.
The Club at Spanish Peaks
- The Club at Spanish Peaks was originally envisioned and designed by Tom Weiskopf, and his professional touch can be felt at every hole on this 18-hole, par-72 course set in one of Montana’s most scenic areas. The surrounding meadows, mountains and forests provide a backdrop that will leave you breathless.
- Location – The Club is an hour and forty-five minutes north of West Yellowstone, just past Big Sky.
- Contact Info – For greens fees, reservations and other info, call 1-877-995-3100.